46010, Valencia, San Pío V, 9Find on map
Contact phone: +34 963 87 03 00
Telephone: +34 932 200 608 Mo-Su.
Fax: +34 93 272 64 15
Other work days
The museum of fine arts of Valencia
The museum of fine arts of Valencia is the most important point of reference for museums in the Valencian Community. Almost three centuries have passed since its foundation in 1837 until now, and there have been many ups and downs through history. It is basically formed by a big art gallery and a great possession of drawings and engravings, as well as sculptures, archaeological pieces, architectonic fragments, pictures and decorative arts.
The origin of the museum is related to the Royal Academy of Fine Arts of San Carlos, whose statute was approved by the king Carlos III in 1768. Within this corporation, a small collection of works was gathered through the donations of masters and pupils. This collection will become the first important contribution to the museum.
In 1812, with the French occupation of Valencia, the marshal Luis Gabriel Suchet wanted the most influencing corporations of the city to join the Napoleonic cause, so he created a museum with paintings, sculptures, medals and books taken from convents. Once peace was achieved and the national government was established in 1813, the pieces of art were taken back to their original places.