28004, Madrid, Calle del Marques de la Ensenada, 14Find on map
Telephone: +34 93 272 64 90 Mo-Su.
Urgent calls: +34 638 841 638
Fax: +34 93 272 64 15
Specify the name of a closest metro station.
The plaza, originally called "Plaza de Santiago" (St. James Square), was renamed "Plaza de Colón" in 1893 to honour Christopher Columbus. The square contains two monuments. On the Promenade of the Castilian side there is a monument to Columbus built in 1885. This is a statue of Columbus standing at the pinnacle of a tall column. The second monument on the Serrano Street. side consists of concrete macro-sculptures by Joaquín Vaquero Turcios. The concrete blocks are decorated with inscriptions by philosophers and indigenous leaders. At the base of the Columbus monument is a large fountain with a broad cascade of water. There are steps leading under the cascade and beneath the plaza, where the roar of the fountain is amplified. Under the plaza along with the Centro Cultural de la Villa de Madrid (Madrid City Cultural Centre) lies a stop for a special shuttle that takes passengers to Barajas Airport. This square serves as a center of various festivities and demonstrations, it is always a place where the Day of Spanish Nation (October 12) takes place.